Seniors, though often faced with changing minds and bodies, aren’t strangers to technology. In fact, there is such a market for this demographic that there are a variety of apps catered directly to them. Senior-focused apps are a great help in their day-to-day lives, as it helps them stay organized, healthy, fit and connected.
The experts at Wikibuy know firsthand how important it is for seniors to stay up-to-date on the latest technology, so they put together the ultimate guide to apps for senior wellbeing. You can check out their blog post for the full list of 45+ senior-friendly apps, or check out our smaller list of recommendations below!
As they age, seniors will have to deal with a variety of health issues or physical ailments. Though not always fun, they are a part of life! And luckily, there are a wide range of apps available to help users keep track of their symptoms, note medication schedules or speak with a professional straight from their phone. Some of the best medical apps are listed below:
- Geriatric Depression and Dementia Scale: Both major risk factors as you age, this app helps identify symptoms of depression and dementia at their early stages.
- GoodRx: Make picking up your prescription a breeze with an app that highlights the lowest prices for your area and offer savings tips at your fingertips.
- My SOS Family: If you injure yourself in your home, it can be hard to get help (especially if you live alone). SOS Family makes it easy to call your loved ones for help when you need it.
- MyTherapy: Track your mood, medications and weight so you and your doctor can determine if your medication is working for you.
Get help reading articles on your phone or determining what objects are in front of you with the help of your smartphone. Apps catered to physical ailments such as mobility issues, loss of vision, diminishing hearing or even confusion are well-loved by senior users. Below, the top apps depending on your needs:
- Be My Eyes: If you need help reading a food label or checking out something in your home, open up the Be My Eyes app for real-time help reading small text or fixing issues in your house.
- Big Font: Ease up on your eyes with the Big Font app, which magnifies the text on your phone for easy reading. It’ll also turn your camera into a magnifying glass to make reading menus and labels easier.
- Lookout: Using artificial intelligence, this app will tell you what it sees. Perfect for questions you have in the kitchen or while shopping for new clothes.
- Toilet Finder: A national database of restrooms available to the public, this app is perfect for those with mobility limitations or bladder issues.
As you can see, your phone can do a lot more than just tell you the weather. In addition to your favorite card games, your smartphone can help you locate much-needed information, track your medication and even alert others in the event of an emergency.